During the one hundred years of its existence, the Warwickshire Constabulary has had five chief constables. They are as follows:
- JAMES ISAAC 1857 – 1875
- J. H. KINCHANT 1876 – 1892
- CAPT. J.T. BRINKLEY 1892 – 1929
- CDR. E. R. B. KEMBLE 1929 – 1948
- LT.-Col. G.C. WHITE 1948 – still serving
It is of interest to note that the first and last of the above officers had previously served in the Metropolitan Police Force.
Police cadets were first employed by this force in 1929. These cadets are youths who enter the service at the age of 16 years or just over and today some forty are employed all over the county. They receive a good general insight into police work and are sent to courses at the Liverpool Police Training School and at the Outward Bound Sea and Mountain Schools.
They join the regular force at the age of 19 years and with this early training they provide an excellent type of recruit. Quite a number of the earlier cadets now hold senior ranks in the force.
Policewomen were first appointed to the Warwickshire Constabulary in 1941. Their present strength is one sergeant and fifteen constables. Although paying special attention to matters relating to women and children, these officers perform more or less the same duties as their male counterparts. The most common cause of casualties amongst them is marriage, as they seem particularly vulnerable to Cupid’s arrows.
The Special Constabulary is a very much older organisation than the regular force and in fact goes back to the seventeenth century. So far as Warwickshire is concerned, however, little is known about its activities until the 1914-18 war. During these years many specials were recruited and gave valuable assistance to the depleted regular force. The Special Constabulary reached its peak during the 1939-45 war. It then became a fully uniformed, equipped and trained body of police officers and gave invaluable assistance to the regular force, which would have found it very difficult to have managed without them.Their efficiency reached such a pitch that on a number of occasions they were able to take over completely the policing of a division without the assistance of the regulars. Since the war the strength of the specials has been kept up and many members perform a certain amount of duty, particularly in connection with traffic at weekends, and on public occasions.
At the outbreak of the last war an auxiliary force known as the “Police War Reserve” was formed to supplement the regular force. Many of its members had previously been Special Constables.They were paid and performed full time duty alongside the Regulars.The “Police War Reserve” gave invaluable service and was not disbanded until after the cessation of hostilities.
Civilian Staff were not employed by the Warwickshire Constabulary until 1929 when women shorthand typists were engaged at headquarters. It was not until after the outbreak of war in 1939 that women were employed as clerks in divisions. Today all the divisional and sub-divisional headquarters have women clerks and typists, thus releasing police officers for more essential duties.