Historical Timeline

1825
Leamington Spa Priors Police formed with John Palmer as Chief Constable.
1829
Metropolitan Police formed.
1836
Stratford Borough Police formed with Thomas Taylor as Chief Constable.
1846
Warwick Borough Police formed.
1853
The Magistrates in the Barlichway Hundred decided to form their own police force along similar lines to the Knightlow Hundred force. James Issac was appointed Chief Officer and took charge of both forces.
1856
County and Borough Police Act passed County policing made compulsory.
1857
Knightlow and Barlichway forces combine to become Warwickshire Constabulary. James Issac was appointed Chief Constable.
1858
Specialist department the Criminal lnvestigation Department was formed.
1860
By 1860 station houses and lock-ups had been provided at divisional headquarters. Constables and sergeants paid upto £6 per year and the higher ranks £8 per year.
1867
A force of 50 constables sent to assist in Birmingham during disturbances. Officers to be issued with revolvers and cutlasses during ‘the present disturbed state of the County’.
1868
Pay of constables shown as being £50 per annum.
1869
Helmets were introduced.
1873
1 policeman for every 1,128
1875
25 Constables travelled from Leicestershire and Staffordshire to assist in crowd control in Birmingham for the visit of the Prince of Wales.
1876
First woman employed by the Constabulary, Mrs Loach, for searching female prisoners. R.H. Kinchant took over as Chief Constable. Cutlasses withdrawn from general use.
1892
Capt J.T. Brinkley was appointed Chief Constable
1929
First Police Cadet and Civilian typist employed. Commander E.K.H. Kemble R.N. appointed Chief Constable.
1935
Traffic Department, consisting of 5 Hillman HP and 4 Hillman Aero minx motor cars. The cost was £2,020.10s, plus a further £200 for specialist equipment.
1937
Civil Defence Department formed.
1939
Private telephone system installed.
1941
First Police Woman employed.
1947
Leamington Spa Borough Police merge with the County Force.
1948
Lt.Col.G.C. White appointed as Chief Constable.
1949
Headquarters moved to Leek Wootton.
1951
Radios brought into use.
1954
Dog section formed.
1957
100 years Anniversary of the Warwickshire Constabulary. Strength – 558.
1958
Peter Ewan Brodie appointed Chief Constable.
1964
Richard Bonnar Matthews appointed Chief Constable
1967
‘Breathalyser devices’ were introduced nationwide. ‘Pandas’. were first introduced. Warwickshire’s first female traffic officer, branded by the press of the time as ‘The Petticoat Patrol’.
1969
Coventry City Police merged with the County Force. Now known as Warwickshire and Coventry Constabulary.
1972
PC Peter Charles Guthrie murdered in Coventry. His murderer was arrested and convicted.
1974
Coventry, Sutton Coldfield and Solihull Divisions merged with West Midlands Police.
1975
One of Warwickshire Constabulary’s most challenging ‘major incidents’- the Nuneaton Rail Crash.
1976
Albert Lauhhorne appointed Chief Constable.
1978
Roger Birch appointed Chief Constable.
1982
The year of another logistical challenge when Pope John Paul II engaged in a ‘Papal Visit’ and a ten square mile restricted traffic zone was imposed around Baginton Airport near Coventry
1983
Peter D Joslin appointed Chief Constable. SPC Davinder Mankoo – 1st Asian Special.
1984
Resources were stretched to the limit when four coal pits in the north of the county were targeted by ‘flying pickets’; in the NUM dispute.
1987
The force received it’s first ‘Air Support’ cover. In 1989 the force went a step further by purchasing it’s own Sweitzer helicopter.
1995
The beat bobby was armed with a new form of defence – the PR24 side-handled baton.
1998
Andrew C Timpson appointed Chief Constable.
2000
John Burbeck appointed Chief Constable.
2001
‘Warwickshire Constabulary’ became known as ‘Warwickshire Police’.
2006
Keith Bristow appointed Chief Constable. The 175th anniversary of the Special Constabulary nationally.
2007
Warwickshire Police celebrated the start of its 150th Anniversary year on 5th February.